Safe Drop Medicine Disposal
Are unused and expired medications filling up your medicine cabinet? Don’t flush them down the drain or throw them in the trash. SMWD has implemented a “Safe Drop” medicine disposal program to help keep pharmaceutical chemicals out of our waterways and ocean.
Instead of flushing unused medications down the toilet or drain, SMWD is asking customers to safely dispose of unused non-controlled prescription and over-the-counter medications at a secure drop box located in SMWD’s lobby at 26111 Antonio, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA 92688. SMWD is pleased to provide our customers a safer way to dispose of unused medications. A secure medicine drop off and disposal not only protects the environment, it also protects our families from potential abuse or accidents.
The public can access the medicine drop box during SMWD’s regular business hours of Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There is no charge to use the drop box.
The drop-off medication program is provided by SMWD and is in coordination with Waste Management, Inc. Collection of all pharmaceuticals is in accordance with United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) standards. If you are interested in visiting SMWD to drop off your unwanted medications and need additional information, please contact our Customer Relations department at (949) 459-6420.
- Prescription and over-the-counter pills and capsules
- Liquid medications, including ointments, lotions and creams (in sealed containers)
- Veterinary medications
- Vitamins, supplements, homeopathic remedies
- Medical patches
- Inhalers (empty)
- Medical samples
- Controlled substances (contact your local law enforcement agency regarding the disposal of controlled substances)
- IV bags
- Bloody or infectious wastes
- Personal care products (body lotion, shampoo, etc.)
- Aerosol cans
- Epi-pens and other needles/sharps
- Illegal drugs
- Medical marijuana
- Chemotheraphy drugs (ask your health care provider for disposal options)